Compulsory Basic Training (CBT)

At JT's Motorcycles Swansea, we're your premier destination for motorcycle training. Our CBT courses run seven days a week, ensuring flexibility for your schedule.

For bookings and inquiries, call 01792 461776 (opt 1).

Our comprehensive CBT assessment covers safety briefings, bike checks, on-site yard training, and a 2-hour road ride assessment, all-inclusive of safety gear, insurance, and bike rental. Successfully completing the CBT qualifies you from that date.

Whether you're a beginner or don't own a motorcycle, we've got you covered. We'll teach you from the ground up and provide everything you need.

Let us take care of your training and test bookings for a hassle-free experience.

Never ridden a motorcycle before?

At JT's, we offer on-site motorcycle training to ensure your confidence and competence. Our private training areas at each store allow you to master motorcycle/scooter control before venturing onto public roads. Plus, you'll learn essential road rules, including traffic lights, roundabouts, and junctions. Ideal for beginners and a useful refresher for riders.

Riding a 50cc / Moped / Scooter on the Road

Understanding Moped Licensing Requirements:

A moped typically features an engine with a capacity not exceeding 50cc and a maximum design speed of around 31 miles per hour (50 kilometres per hour). If you obtained your full car license before February 1, 2001, you're exempt from completing a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) to ride a moped.

To legally ride a moped, it must meet specific criteria: the engine capacity should not exceed 50cc, the weight must not exceed 250kg, and it should have a maximum speed not exceeding 28mph (45 km/h). Before June 2003, licenses allowed riding mopeds up to 50 km/h.

To ride a moped, learners must:

  • Be 16 years or older
  • Hold a provisional moped license
  • Complete CBT training

To obtain your full moped license, you must first pass the theory test for motorcycles and then the moped practical test. If you passed your car driving test before February 1, 2001, you can ride a moped without L plates or D plates, but it's recommended to complete CBT before riding on the road. If you passed your car driving test after this date, CBT completion is mandatory before riding a moped on the road. These laws are regulated under RTA 1988 sects 97(e) & 101 and MV(DL)R regs 38(4) & 43.

What To Bring On The Day


  • The photo card of your driving license
  • Helmet (one can be provided)
  • Legal documents if you are using your own bike (tax, insurance and MOT).
  • Warm, waterproof and protective clothing including boots and gloves.

Theory Test / Motorcycle Theory Test

Whichever route you choose, a theory test pass is required before you can undertake a practical motorcycle test. The theory test is not difficult providing you prepare for it. Study books are available at all good bookstores. Should you have any difficulty obtaining the relevant books or are in any doubt please contact us for help.

© Copyright 2023 JT's Motorcycles. All rights reserved
Powered by DealerWEBS DealerWEBS™