Motorcycle Rider Training Swansea

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT)

We have our own CBT site here at JT's and undertake the courses 7 days a week.

Call 01792 461776 opt 1 to book or enquire about training .


 The CBT assessment. All Riders will participate in another brief safety chat and go through the basic bike checks along with all modules of the standard CBT. They will then train in our secure on-site yard and complete  2 hour road ride assessment at the end. All safety equipment will be supplied along with insurance and bike hire
 Once the CBT has been successfully completed you will be qualified from that date.


Ever Consider Learning To Ride A Motorcycle But Don't Know Where To Start?
Never Ridden Before?
No problem, we will teach you.
Don't Own A Motorcycle?
No problem, use one of ours.

We will organise your training and book your test.

Never ridden a motorcycle before? JT's can help with on-site training

Don‘t worry you will not be expected to ride on the public road right away. We have a private area at each of our stores where we will teach you how to control the motorcycle/scooter, and allow you to become confident and comfortable on the motorcycle / scooter before heading out onto the road.

In addition to learning to physically ride a motorcycle / scooter you will also be taught basic road rules. This includes traffic lights, roundabouts, junctions etc. This is mainly for the benefit of non-drivers who have no previous road experience but serves as a useful refresher for those who can drive.

Riding a 50cc / Moped / Scooter on the Road

A moped has an engine not over 50cc with maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour which is approximately 31 miles per hour.
(If you obtained your full car licence before 1 February 2001 you do not need to complete a CBT to ride a moped).

A moped MUST have an engine capacity not exceeding 50cc, not weigh more than 250kg and be designed to have a maximum speed not exceeding 28mph (45 km/h). Before June 2003 a licence allowed the riding of mopeds up to 50km/h.

To ride a moped, learners must ... Be age 16 or over & Have a provisional moped licence & Complete CBT training.

You MUST first pass the theory test for motorcycles and then the moped practical test to obtain your full moped licence. If you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001 you are qualified to ride a moped without L plates or D plates although it is recommended that you complete CBT before riding on the road. If you passed your car driving test after this date you must complete CBT before riding a moped on the road. Laws RTA 1988 sects 97(e) & 101 & MV(DL)R regs 38(4) & 43

Direct access motorcycle training in Swansea / das courses available

Here at JT`s we are currently using brand new Suzuki 650 Gladius`s with abs for out das training which are smooth and easy to ride and stop ! With our 2 das qualified motorcycle instructors and new machines we offer the best motorcycle training in Wales . Our pass rates on direct access tests are very high and with competitive prices JT`s have become the smart choice for all of your two wheel training in and around Swansea .We also have just had our large cbt training area made even bigger and resurfaced it in new tarmac to help us incorperate module 1 training to get you accustomed with exactly what to expect on test day

Full Motorcycle licence requirements - From Jan 2013
If you have a provisional motorcycle licence, you MUST satisfactorily complete a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course.

You can then ride a motorcycle up to 125cc with a power output not exceeding 11 kW on the public road, with L plates or D plates for up to two years. Under direct access you can practice on a motorcycle that exceeds 125 cc provided that ...

You meet the minimum age for the category concerned.
You’re accompanied at all times by a DSA qualified approved trainer, who is on another motorcycle and in contact with you.
Fluorescent or reflective safety clothing is worn during supervision.
Red L plates or D plates are fitted and provisional licence restrictions followed.

To obtain your full motorcycle licence you MUST pass a motorcycle theory test and then a practical test.
Law MV(DL)R regs 16 & 68

A1 motorcycle licence ... At age 17 or over, you take a test on a motorcycle without sidecar of between 120 and 125cc. If you pass you may ride a motorcycle up to 125cc with power output up to 11 kW, or a motor tricycle with power not exceeding 15 kW.

A2 motorcycle licence ... At age 19 or over, you take a test on a motorcycle without sidecar of at least 395cc with a power output of at least 25 kW but not exceeding 35 kW. If you pass, you may ride any motorcycle not exceeding 35 kW and with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2 kW/kg.

Full A motorcycle licence ... Test taken on a motorcycle without sidecar, of at least 595cc and an engine power of at least 40 kW. This gives you full access to all motorcycles & motor tricycles. You obtain a category A licence by taking progressive access from age 21, or under the direct access scheme from age 24.

Category A under progressive access ... You can take a category A practical test at age 21 if you already have an A2 licence that you’ve held for a minimum of two years. You don’t need to take another theory test or hold a CBT certificate.

Category A under direct access ... This is for riders aged 24 or over. To obtain a category A licence you must
Successfully complete a CBT course. Pass the motorcycle theory test. Pass the practical motorcycle test.
Passing the practical test on a motorcycle of at least 40 kW (53.6bhp) gives immediate access to all sizes of motorcycle.
You MUST NOT carry a pillion passenger or pull a trailer until you have passed your test.

What To Bring On The Day


  • The photo card of your driving license
  • Helmet (one can be provided)
  • Legal documents if you are using your own bike (tax, insurance and MOT).


  • Warm, waterproof and protective clothing including boots and gloves.

Theory Test / Motorcycle Theory Test

Whichever route you choose, a theory test pass is required before you can undertake a practical motorcycle test. The theory test is not difficult providing you prepare for it. Study books are available at all good bookstores. Should you have any difficulty obtaining the relevant books or are in any doubt please contact us for help.

For CBT & DAS Prices or for More Information Call JT's Swansea on (01792) 461776